I'm no food critic by any means. I'm not super adventurous when it comes to food, and I freaking adore ketchup. You'll see basic American fare on this list. But, I do love food, so I'm going to share a bit about my favorite places to feast in Florida.
- Ken's BBQ, Lake City, FL - Ken's is pretty much the go-to gathering spot for my hometown. When I lived there, I ate Ken's at least once or twice a week. Now I have to settle for once or twice a weekend when I'm visiting. :) Start off with the corn nuggets and ranch, and then feast on the Working Man's Combo (sandwich, fries, drink). I go for the BBQ pork with sweet sauce - usually on a bun but sometimes on garlic bread, if I'm feeling fancy/decadent. Sweet tea is a must!
- The Floridian, St. Augustine, FL - This small farm-to-table cafe in the heart of downtown has the best restaurant burger I've ever had. Here's the description from their menu: Dixie Burger - Choice of all natural CartWheel Ranch Beef or our Black Bean and Sweet Potato Veggie Burger with all the fixings, housemade pickles, and chipotle mayo on a ciabatta bun...You're not done yet! Add: Cheddar or Pepperjack/ Goat's or Asher Blue Cheese/ Pimento Cheese/ Friend Green Tomatos/ Sautéed Onions or Roasted Peppers Are you drooling yet?
- MoMo's Pizza, Tallahassee, FL - This was a regular hangout of mine when I was an undergrad student at FSU in the late 90s/early 2000s. Their thing is "slices as big as your head," and they aren't exaggerating. There are now two locations, but the one by campus (on Tennessee St.) will always hold a special place in my heart.
Metro Diner, Jacksonville/St. Augustine/Gainesville, FL - Dubbed "where the locals eat," Metro brings the food and the comfort. You can get classic dishes like chicken pot pie or meatloaf and hearty breakfast combos like chicken+waffles and biscuits+gravy. Also, don't count out my husband's favorite: shrimp and grits. It's all delicious.
Other favorites include the meatball and ricotta pizza at Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza in Altamonte Springs (best pizza I've ever had), the brie burger (pictured below) at Craft Street Kitchen in Trinity, and just about anything at Carmelita's Mexican Restaurant in New Port Richey. My husband and I had our first date at The Top in Gainesville, so raise a glass of wine or split a dessert in our honor the next time you're craving plantain chips or sweet potato fries.
Spring is here, so it's time to get organized! I'm a naturally messy person, so I don't have many tips for you. Here are a few things I do like, though:
- hanging jewelry organizers (zippers are a must)
- decorative storage bins (You don't actually have to sort through your junk, you just have to hide it.)
- not owning a lot of crap to begin with (I'm still working on this one.)
Best of luck to ya!
My bestie Elissa always seems to know about cool stuff before I do. Case in point: LulaRoe. What is LLR you ask? A clothing line/direct sales company. (I am NOT a consultant, so I'm not trying to get you to buy anything.) I just want to tell you how much I love their clothes! Most people who get into LLR become addicted to their buttery-soft leggings, but leggings just aren't my thing. I'm obsessed with their Nicole dress and Perfect tee! We are talking flattering as all get out, comfortable beyond belief, and stylish as the day is long. More, please!
Shop LLR with Sami Lee by clicking HERE.